Who Is The Best Running Back Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and im not even a titans fan im a cowboys fan..live in dallas..

just collect vince young..but good try

oh and by the way the titans are a lot better than the bears this year..just about everyone is

BSC said:
Brown was a powerhouse bulldog. In those days that was what football was all about, power and sheer strength. It was a whole lot more physical then than it is today. As for his character, we're not judging that here and it has nothing to do with his on-field stats or performance. Besides, it's amazing that you didn't mention any of the good that he's done throughout the years, only the bad traits.
Ty Cobb was one of the biggest racists and downright just a mean spirited person, he used to sharpen his cleats just before games, not for digging into the turf either, but he resides in the BB HOF.

wow, thats not even a remotely close to fair comparison jim brown and ty cobb. let me tell you a those a like about ty cobb. he was one of the greatest hitters to ever play baseball period. also back in the days when ty cobb played life was completely different. slaves were around and pretty much every white man was racist, so please, dont give me that about ty cobb. jim brown was good but he is no barry sanders and never will be period!

They're athletes not role models, stop idolizing people cuz they play sports.[/QUOTE]

lol, you have got to be kidding me?? i never said i idolized anyone, i said hes the greatest runningback thats ever played this game in "my opinion"!! and rether you, chrles barkley, or anyone else for that matter likes it or not athletes are role models for many many kids!!

Well, as everyone can see, comparisons on who is the better player at a certain position is a topic with many diverse opinions. People that like certain players, know all their stats, and possibly watched them play are going to hype them up more than other players they dont know as well.

However, in all likelyhood, no one can really say who is the greatest, without some sort of bias. Even knowing all the stats of every player that ever played Half Back cant be truly told without bias. For example, tell me a game that you have watched where a running back doesnt break a big run without the help of a little illegal hold or chop block or something else that is missed by the official. I'm not saying that it happens all the time, but it would be naive to say that it never does.

Also, no one has taken into consideration the affect that steroids has made on the current way the game is played. (i.e. Defensive player of the year Shawne Merriman) How many backs stats would be better if it were not for the behemoth linebackers hyped up on roids, exponentially increasing their size and strength.

It is impossible to say that the current running backs in the Hall of Fame dont deserve to be there. The were enshrined for that very reason. I know the topic is who "we" think is the best but the possibilities are endless. So, i guess i'll give my opinion on the subject...

No one. Everyone has flaws, no one was ever the greatest at every skill need to be a "true" half back. And there never will be. Football, after all, is no longer a game. Its a business...but it passes the time. :)

marinocollector said:
Oh, and just incase anyone wanted this....
Walter stats in 190 regular season games
Att: 3,838 Yds: 16,726 Avg: 4.4 TD: 110

I think this proves it.

Barry stats in 153 regular season games
Att: 3,062 Yds: 15,269 Avg: 5.0 TD: 99

Jim stats in 118 regular season games
Att: 2,359 Yds: 12,312 Avg: 5.2 TD: 106

I believe Barry would had the rushing record in 20-25 less games and 4-500 less carries. HE knew the record was his.

Besides, I believe Barry Sanders set 25+ records while he was in college.

Its between Jim Brown or Barry Sanders. Walter Payton is a distant third in my book.

What if Barry would have been on the Cowboys? We wouldn't be having this argument. We would think he was the best ever with his Rings, his Rushing Title, and His Moves.

I believe there is a you tube video where Barry made 1 or 2 defenders do a complete 360 while they were trying to tackle him, and the never touched him. He just juked them that bad.

I understand Barry did amazing things on the field, but he could not do the neccesary things a running back should do... such as pick up yardage in short down situations. I'm sorry.... would never want my number one back to lose yardage consistently.... and sorry, a lot of yardage Barry lost was his own fault for not being able to hit the hole. That's why he'll never be the greatest in my book at least.
Jim Brown did more in less games than any other running back and he stepped down in his prime. He played in an era where running was the number one game plan in the NFL.

Also Hope and Faith, I believe Ty Cobb was born after slavery was abolished. And like it or not, athletes are not role models, nor should they be. And kids know that. Kids dont want to be athletes for the people they are, but for how they perform on the field... and if the kid is acting like the "bad role model" athlete... its the kid's personality, not the athletes fault.

marinocollector said:
I understand Barry did amazing things on the field, but he could not do the neccesary things a running back should do... such as pick up yardage in short down situations. I'm sorry.... would never want my number one back to lose yardage consistently.... and sorry, a lot of yardage Barry lost was his own fault for not being able to hit the hole. That's why he'll never be the greatest in my book at least.
Jim Brown did more in less games than any other running back and he stepped down in his prime. He played in an era where running was the number one game plan in the NFL.

Also Hope and Faith, I believe Ty Cobb was born after slavery was abolished. And like it or not, athletes are not role models, nor should they be. And kids know that. Kids dont want to be athletes for the people they are, but for how they perform on the field... and if the kid is acting like the "bad role model" athlete... its the kid's personality, not the athletes fault.

lol, barry sanders lost yardage on a consistant basis because he always tried to make something out of nothing. im pretty sure that highlight clip shows barry was very fast, fast enough to out run tons of defenders! so i dont think hitting the hole was ever a problem, the problem wass there wasnt holes to hit. so he tried to create his own running lanes. sometimes yes it did cause a loss of yardage, but also remember those lost yards comes off his total yards also, and he still put up mind boggling numbers!! he would be the nfl's all-time rusher by atleast a couple thousand yards if he had finished out his years in the league. also slavery was still a common practice in cobbs era, and also racism was at a all-time high in that era so, comparing cobb to jim brown when it comes to being racist is like comparing apples and oranges!!! THE HIGHLIGHT FILM SPEAKS FOR ITSEKF. funny thing is, is that the highlight film only has about 1/10th of his best runs. he had many more jaw dropping and amazing highlights then that even shows.

THANKS FOR THE CLIP GROUND SUPPORT ;). ALSO I THINK THE CLIP OF HIM DRAGGING THAT PATRIOTS DEFENDER 7+ YARDS INTO THE ENDZONE CAN PUT TO REST ANY THOUGHT OF BARRY HAVING NO POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back