Shit is about to hit the fan...

I also agree they need to punish the agents, but also the kids. I think Saban said that they should enforce a rule where if an agent is caught dealing with students in school, they should have their license revoked for a year or two. I agree.

If you give a broke 17 year old a fist full of cash and pay for his mom's apartment, really you think he is going say no? To me the problem is multifaceted and the kids are not without blame, but I think part of the problem is these kids are making universities rich and not receiving much in return.

I also agree they need to punish the agents, but also the kids. I think Saban said that they should enforce a rule where if an agent is caught dealing with students in school, they should have their license revoked for a year or two. I agree.
I agree with this, but its a two way street. Kids are educated about avoiding agents.

If you give a broke 17 year old a fist full of cash and pay for his mom's apartment, really you think he is going say no? To me the problem is multifaceted and the kids are not without blame, but I think part of the problem is these kids are making universities rich and not receiving much in return.

I hear this argument alot and I just do not agree. These kids are getting scholarships which pay for their entire college education which for a college like Alabama is probably what 30K a semester. They also get free room and board which is not cheep. In most cases you can get a job on campus as well (this is what my father in law has told me who had a full ride to play football at Texas).

Now of course there is the argument that these colleges are making millions on these players but that argument is invalid to me. For example I work for the US government in a weapons technology and development base and the government makes millions (in some cases billions) off of the work that we do but we do not go around selling blueprints and information to Russian just because we are unhappy with our pay. These pampered players need to get a little integrity and understand in the real world and be thankful for what they have. They do not have it that bad, they get to play a game and in return get an education that could support themselves and their families for the rest of their lives.

I hear this argument alot and I just do not agree. These kids are getting scholarships which pay for their entire college education which for a college like Alabama is probably what 30K a semester. They also get free room and board which is not cheep. In most cases you can get a job on campus as well (this is what my father in law has told me who had a full ride to play football at Texas).

Now of course there is the argument that these colleges are making millions on these players but that argument is invalid to me. For example I work for the US government in a weapons technology and development base and the government makes millions (in some cases billions) off of the work that we do but we do not go around selling blueprints and information to Russian just because we are unhappy with our pay. These pampered players need to get a little integrity and understand in the real world and be thankful for what they have. They do not have it that bad, they get to play a game and in return get an education that could support themselves and their families for the rest of their lives.
This post couldn't be more wrong...

• $30K per semester? Try closer to $4-5K per YEAR!
  • Room and board is $4-5K per year (and that's being generous)
  • $3K or so per year for the meal plan
  • $1K per year for books (way more than enough)

So you are looking at $14K per year at the very most. Also, these kids don't have much time to get a job. They take a full class schedule like everyone else, they have to go to practice, they have to go to team meetings, and they have to go to study hall. maybe your father-in-law could get a part time job back in the day, but it is a lot harder now.

They do not have it that bad, they get to play a game and in return get an education that could support themselves and their families for the rest of their lives.

:secret: Most of the players don't really care about the education part, especially the pro prospects.

This post couldn't be more wrong...

• $30K per semester? Try closer to $4-5K per YEAR!
  • Room and board is $4-5K per year (and that's being generous)
  • $3K or so per year for the meal plan
  • $1K per year for books (way more than enough)

So you are looking at $14K per year at the very most. Also, these kids don't have much time to get a job. They take a full class schedule like everyone else, they have to go to practice, they have to go to team meetings, and they have to go to study hall. maybe your father-in-law could get a part time job back in the day, but it is a lot harder now.

I think your numbers or wrong I was going to a JC and was paying 400+ a semester on books so I doubt the books at a big time program can all be bought for the entire year for 1K. But even by your numbers that is around 16K plus they are given the chance to showcase their talents for the pro scouts. Do not get me wrong I do not think the system is perfect but these kids are not exactly getting F'ed over. If they did start paying college students it should be the same for everyone on the roster and be no more then about 15-20K a year. When you lump that in with the other 16K that is about 36K per season which I think is more then fair.

You can rent books now. I have 18 credits this fall, and it will cost me $220 to rent my books. My guess is that college athletes are taking 12-15 credits per semester, so you are probably looking at 250-300 max. I think 1k will cover books, and then some.

I think your numbers or wrong I was going to a JC and was paying 400+ a semester on books so I doubt the books at a big time program can all be bought for the entire year for 1K. But even by your numbers that is around 16K plus they are given the chance to showcase their talents for the pro scouts. Do not get me wrong I do not think the system is perfect but these kids are not exactly getting F'ed over. If they did start paying college students it should be the same for everyone on the roster and be no more then about 15-20K a year. When you lump that in with the other 16K that is about 36K per season which I think is more then fair.
I just graduated from Georgia. I know how much this stuff costs.

You can rent books now. I have 18 credits this fall, and it will cost me $220 to rent my books. My guess is that college athletes are taking 12-15 credits per semester, so you are probably looking at 250-300 max. I think 1k will cover books, and then some.

just buy and resell on ebay. You will not lose as much money compared to renting :slaut:

Chuck, you forgot about summer tuition, which is more than Fall and Spring here

You are right, but its not even close to $30K per semester.

For out of state it may, especially with summer costs, since it is more expensive and when they take the majority of hours. Let's say 15 hours for summer (OOS)

roughly 1k/hr so 15k
1200 housing
500 for meal plan per session so 1k

that is over 17k for an out-of-state student right there at CU.

Back