Cam Newton/awbs may be in trouble......

I am seriously asking for specifics instead of all this nonsense. What exactly happened? What rule was broken? What is the punishment?

Well, it was going to cost $180K for Newton to play at MSU. This has been established through text messages/witnesses. All of a sudden, he commits to awb. Why did he commit there? His dad (who was not on the official visit with Cam) told him to.

That is all we know for a 100% rock solid fact. Also many questions are surrounding Papa Newton's church and trucking company, the Alabama Gambling Commission, FBI, NCAA, SEC. There is a lot of smoke out there. If you would like to do some further reading on allegations, updates on the investigation, etc, you may want to read this thread:

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/MessageTopic.asp?p=22778676&Pg=1

question i have not heard an answer to yet: if all of this stuff went down, and if msu knew about all of it and reported it, why did they continue to recruit newton until the minute he signed with au? maybe there is a reasonable explanation. i just havent heard anyone address it yet.

question i have not heard an answer to yet: if all of this stuff went down, and if msu knew about all of it and reported it, why did they continue to recruit newton until the minute he signed with au? maybe there is a reasonable explanation. i just havent heard anyone address it yet.

MSU doesn't exactly have a squeaky clean sports department. See: Stansbury, Rick.

And here is a link that outlines why Newton could be deemed ineligible at any moment, pending whatever other information comes out:

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/20...ing-him-ineligible/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

MSU doesn't exactly have a squeaky clean sports department. See: Stansbury, Rick.

And here is a link that outlines why Newton could be deemed ineligible at any moment, pending whatever other information comes out:

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/20...ing-him-ineligible/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

Actually Travis only addresses discretionary SEC bylaws in that article, and clearly the SEC is letting him play. I have looked at the NCAA rules. There is no rule against solicitation of benefits. Receipt of benefits, yes. But not solicitation.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D111.pdf

Nothing new is coming out in the eyes of the SEC, NCAA, Auburn, and Newtons. Only news to the public.

With all due respect, you can polish that turd all you want, but it ain't coming out clean.

Actually Travis only addresses discretionary SEC bylaws in that article, and clearly the SEC is letting him play. I have looked at the NCAA rules. There is no rule against solicitation of benefits. Receipt of benefits, yes. But not solicitation.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D111.pdf

Nothing new is coming out in the eyes of the SEC, NCAA, Auburn, and Newtons. Only news to the public.

With all due respect, you can polish that turd all you want, but it ain't coming out clean.

Another logical, reasoned argument. Here is what must be proven in order to hold Cam ineligible:

(a) Cam received extra benefits;
(b) Cam was knowingly involved in being offered or provided an improper inducement or extra benefit or improper financial aid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another logical, reasoned argument. Here is what must be proven in order to hold Cam ineligible:

(a) Cam received extra benefits;
(b) Cam was knowingly involved in being offered or provided an improper inducement or extra benefit or improper financial aid.

B doesn't make sense. If that is all it takes for their not to be rampant cheating in college football, we are doomed.

Logically, by that case every single college player can have their parents demand money and just say "oopsies, we didn't know!".... that would be bad. Very, very, bad for college sports.

B doesn't make sense. If that is all it takes for their not to be rampant cheating in college football, we are doomed.

Logically, by that case every single college player can have their parents demand money and just say "oopsies, we didn't know!".... that would be bad. Very, very, bad for college sports.

I just turned around an NCAA ethics regulation for (b) to fit our facts here:

"10.1(c) Knowing involvement in offering or providing a prospective or an enrolled student-athlete an improper inducement or extra benefit or improper financial aid; (Revised: 1/9/96)"

Clearly, this rule is aimed at the offerors instead of the offerees, but you could stretch it to fit Cam (I guess). Just throwing it out there. If it doesn't apply, they are going to have to show that Cam received benefits for him to be ineligible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.... one would imagine that an offeror could have been down on the loveliest village.

And this isn't a shot at you man, but it almost seems like you yourself would need Pat Dye and Newton saying the creed before Dye hands over bags of cash (which he takes out and counts first) for you to see guilt. The NCAA destroyed us for Means on much less circumstantial evidence (though, more evidence came out AFTER penalties were handed down).

I just turned around an NCAA ethics regulation for (b) to fit our facts here:

"10.1(c) Knowing involvement in offering or providing a prospective or an enrolled student-athlete an improper inducement or extra benefit or improper financial aid; (Revised: 1/9/96)"

Clearly, this rule is aimed at the offerors instead of the offerees, but you could stretch it to fit Cam (I guess). Just throwing it out there. If it doesn't apply, they are going to have to show that Cam received benefits for him to be ineligible.

Just noticed you said NCAA. Here is what SEC says:

The SEC bylaws also contain a separate provision in section 14.01.3.1 with a catchall provision that would make any athlete ineligible at all SEC schools when that athlete "engages in unethical conduct."

I don't know if you have a son or daughter, but would you attempt to sell their services to an institution for 6 figures, then say "oh, but it's ok, Daddy still loves you and this is a perfectly ethical thing to do. Daddies do this all the time."

If that's the case, I'm gonna have as many kids as I can and sell them off cheap at an early age.

Well.... one would imagine that an offeror could have been down on the loveliest village.

And this isn't a shot at you man, but it almost seems like you yourself would need Pat Dye and Newton saying the creed before Dye hands over bags of cash (which he takes out and counts first) for you to see guilt. The NCAA destroyed us for Means on much less circumstantial evidence (though, more evidence came out AFTER penalties were handed down).

No, I don't dispute that circumstantial evidence could be AU's downfall, and if Auburn bought the guy, they deserve to go down. That said, you can't really compare AU's situation to Bama's (at this point), because Bama coaches were involved, Bama admitted wrongdoing, and Bama self-imposed sanctions.

Just noticed you said NCAA. Here is what SEC says:

The SEC bylaws also contain a separate provision in section 14.01.3.1 with a catchall provision that would make any athlete ineligible at all SEC schools when that athlete "engages in unethical conduct."

I don't know if you have a son or daughter, but would you attempt to sell their services to an institution for 6 figures, then say "oh, but it's ok, Daddy still loves you and this is a perfectly ethical thing to do. Daddies do this all the time."

If that's the case, I'm gonna have as many kids as I can and sell them off cheap at an early age.

The SEC has discretion to enforce that rule and has already said it is staying out of the matter and not forcing Auburn to sit Newton. So that rule doesn't really matter at this point.

As for your having kids, that would require physical contact with a human girl, so I'm not holding my breath. ;)

Back