USPS Delays

I'm sure some of you are aware first hand but USPS is experiencing major delays in January due to weather, worker shortage, and "system modernization". If you google search USPS delays slews of articles will come up. Here is one example in the Houston area https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/01/23/delays-processing-issues-affect-houston-area-usps-facilities-impacting-local-businesses-with-packages-stuck-inside/.
@smithbrian524

I saw that on the Informed Delivery site, but the article is really eye-opening to say the least! Reminds me of a few years ago around Christmas when the same sort of situation took place, it was rough!!

Thanks for sharing my friend!

Cheers!

Kevin

USPS worker shortages are nothing new in my area. Aging workforce plus sad business practices that cause huge fiscal losses spell doom for this Constitutionally created federal agency (one of the few). Regardless of the continued promises by USPS leadership there appears no way this agency can ever improve customer service, and only keeps raising prices. The typical business deathspiral. UPS and Fedex have siphoned off the more profitable larger package mailing, leaving the USPS with letter mail and junk mail, both dwindling. Letter mailing has become a last option communications choice, and lessens with each generation.

HI Guys
I worked for the USPS for 44 years and everything was going well until the Trumpster appointed his boy LeJoy as the Post Master General. He made some of the stupidest decisions in a futile attempt to destroy the postal unions.
When I started in 1978, the only automation was the giant Letter Sorting Machines that had to be keyed by clerks. Amazingly, for like 8 cents, we could get letters delivered in San Diego the next day and usually to New York, in three.
The more automation the USPS acquired, the longer it seems to get things delivered. And, as you know, if you can't make the delivery deadlines, you just make the deadlines longer.
In the last year, with even newer automation, the USPS only has First Class mail for letters. If your getting boxes of cards, that are less than a pound, they are sent standard ground and are guaranteed to get to your next door neighbor in 3 to 4 days and the East Coast in a week!
Sad example, a week before Christmas last year, I finished a break and sent all the cards. They arrived usually in 5 to 7 days. The same day I mailed the cards, I shipped a 40 pound box of books, I had sold on eBay, media rate, that arrived in 3 days. Not, too screwed up.
But, I must defend their being compared to Fedup and UPS! USPS still has better delivery times on packages, and with the Amazon partnership, delivers more packages at a better rate.
Bob
P.S. Only need $39 to fill the Bowman/Bowman Chrome Mega break. Trying something new on Basketball, with 2022 Chronicle Draft Pick Basketball Blasters, for buying a personal break for $17 delivered.

As collectors, we are all at the mercy of the USPS. I agree with gywnn_fan about DeJoy. He is a Trump appointee who was put in place to run the postal service into the ground. It's sad to see how the postal service has regressed. My latest issue was a purchase of stamps from the USPS, that were stalled at one of the sorting stations for more than a month. The USPS fought me for more than a month before they were finally sent out.

As collectors, we are all at the mercy of the USPS. I agree with gywnn_fan about DeJoy. He is a Trump appointee who was put in place to run the postal service into the ground. It's sad to see how the postal service has regressed. My latest issue was a purchase of stamps from the USPS, that were stalled at one of the sorting stations for more than a month. The USPS fought me for more than a month before they were finally sent out.
I just buy a roll of stamps that are sealed by the usps on ebay for half the price.
They all work fine too! But man, a month? that is to long just to wait for stamps.
That is messed up, I am sorry to hear that. I had a similar situation but it was only
for a week. Unfortunately though my trades got backordered.

Back