No. 12 Tennessee puts brakes on Siena

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Bruce Pearl and Tennessee avoided a potential upset by forcing Siena outside.

His 12th-ranked Vols did just that, stopping what Siena does best -- drive the ball -- and held off the Saints, 78-64, in an Old Spice Classic first-round win Friday.

"Our defense, and Siena's desire to drive the ball to the basket at all costs, meant we had to build a wall," Pearl said. "That was key. We made them have to beat us from outside."

Wayne Chism scored 15 points and Renaldo Woolridge and Tyler Smith each added 14 for the Vols (4-0).

Alex Franklin led Siena (2-1) with 17. Kenny Hasbrouck was held to six points on 1-of-10 shooting.

"When I went to drive the ball, they had someone to cut me off," Hasbrouck said. "I started missing shots I usually make and got tentative."

Siena was only 1 of 15 from 3-point range and turned the ball over 18 times, one fewer than Tennessee.

The Vols went on a 18-0 run late in the first half and pulled away to a 47-27 halftime lead. Bothered by the Vols' pressure defense and inside strength, Siena missed seven shots and turned the ball over seven times during Tennessee's first-half run, including on four straight possessions.

Saints coach Mike McCaffrey said that's where the game was lost.

"When you play a team of this caliber, the focus has to be on staying away from big runs," he said.

Siena scored the first 11 points of the second half, but could not get closer than nine. The Vols led by as many as 21 in the second half.

Tennessee, coming off its best season, which included 31 wins and regular-season stay at No. 1, continues to find some answers in replacing half its offense from a year ago. Defensively, though, it struggled at times.

"Everybody was tight in there, keeping them from penetrating," Chism said. "In the second half we lost focus. Toward the end we picked it up and made them turn the ball over."

Tennessee continued its hot shooting. The Vols, who went into the game hitting 54.2 percent, were 50 percent (29-for-58) for the game, including 6 of 14 from 3-point range.

The biggest 3 came from Chism that ended Siena's run and ignited the Vols in the second half.

"It was a dagger," Pearl said. "How frustrating is it when you make a run and the other center knocks down an easy 3 ball."

Said Hasbrouck: "We got tired after that."

Tennessee will meet Georgetown (No. 16 ESPN/USA Today, No. 21 AP) in the second round of the winner's bracket.

Siena will play Wichita State.

Back