Football Free agency so far: Winner's and Loser's

rynesandbergfan23

Bench Warmer
March 12, 2007
By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

There are a lot of people happy with the results of this year's free-agency -- which isn't hard to understand when you consider those people just made themselves a bundle.

Forget the lottery. You want to make it big? Join the NFL, and let your contract expire. Then sell yourself to the highest bidder.

Eighteen millions dollars for a fullback? Today's rich are the not-so-famous. A week ago, we checked the first weekend's activity. Now we're back with the scoreboard after 10 days.

Three teams free-agency helped

New England: It used to be that New England did a lot of bottom feeding during free-agency, picking off role players at bargain prices to fit into the next Super Bowl champion. Not anymore. The Patriots backed up the Brinks truck and unloaded millions for Adalius Thomas and Donte Stallworth. Thomas is a load and should be terrific in Bill Belichick's defense. You can play him anywhere, and the Patriots will. Stallworth can be Tom Brady's next Deion Branch ... provided, of course, he stays healthy. His addition is another gift to Brady. Last year the Patriots surrounded Brady with ordinary receivers, yet Brady had the Pats within a minute of another Super Bowl. Now, they've added Wes Welker, Kelley Washington and Stallworth -- all of whom are upgrades over Reche Caldwell, last year's leading receiver. But why stop there? The Patriots signed a hellacious blocker in Kyle Brady, and his addition offsets the loss of Daniel Graham. Oh, and did I mention the re-signing of Larry Izzo? I should. He's a marvelous special-teams guy.

Seattle: Yep, the failure to sign Kris Dielman was a blow. So the Seahawks re-upped Floyd Womack and will have him as their left guard. Given the choice, I'd take Dielman, too. But they didn't have a choice. They offered him more than San Diego, and Dielman chose the Chargers. OK, so there's one opportunity lost. But then the club signed Patrick Kerney and Deon Grant, and both moves make them better on defense. Yeah, I'm wary of Kerney, and I wouldn't pay the money Seattle did, but is he a better pass rusher than Grant Wistrom? You bet. Kerney is a high-motor guy who can get to the pocket and create havoc. The knock on him is that 1) he will turn 31 and 2) that he's coming off a pectoral injury. But he was the top defensive lineman in free-agency for a reason: He's a solid pass rusher who can play the run. Grant is a safety with great hands and great range, solid in coverage and underrated as a run supporter. Basically, he's a better all-around player than Ken Hamlin, which means the Seahawks just traded up.

San Francisco: How could free-agency not help these guys? The 49ers had zillions of dollars in cap space. Now, that doesn't mean I like their moves. Getting Nate Clements was big. Paying him $22 million in guaranteed money was fiscally irresponsible, but welcome to today's NFL. Michael Lewis is OK as a safety, but for those who think he's a solution to the 49ers' secondary woes, keep this in mind: He was a second-stringer in Philadelphia. Sure, he once was a Pro Bowl starter, but that was 2004. In 2006 he was benched midway through the season. Nevertheless, he helps a defense that allowed an NFL-worst 412 points. The signing I do like is linebacker Tully Banta-Cain. The guy can rush the passer and will help on special teams. Ashley Lelie? Don't like him. He was a bust in Denver and Atlanta, and I don't know why anything changes here. But give the 49ers this: They didn't invest a lot in him. So it's a gamble. It's a small one. What I want to see is what happens when Jerry Sullivan gets a hold of him. Sullivan is one of the top assistants in the business and might, just might, be able to make something of Lelie.

Three teams free-agency hurt
Tennessee: The Titans have done next to nothing other than re-signing Kerry Collins ... Kerry Collins? ... and throw goodbye parties for former starters. They let their top running back walk. They let their top receiver go, too. That's OK if you have suitable replacements, but I don't see any on the horizon. So Tennessee wanted Stallworth. Great. He's gone, too. I'm not sure where the Titans are headed; all I know is the club keeps subtracting bodies.

Buffalo: The Bills lost their top cornerback in Clements. They lost their top tackler in linebacker London Fletcher. Then they dealt away their top running back when they swapped Willis McGahee to Baltimore for three draft picks, two of them this season. Those are significant losses. OK, so the additions of Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker and Jason Whittle improve the offensive line. That's a bonus for young quarterback J.P. Losman. But the Bills are not better now than they were a month ago. There is talk of adding Corey Dillon or Chris Brown at running back, but forget it, fellas. Dillon is beaten up, and Brown can't stay on the field. Take your chances in the draft. There is enough at the position there that Buffalo can help itself in the second or third rounds.

Baltimore: The Ravens made up lost ground with the addition of McGahee, but they had to spend three draft picks -- including two this spring -- to acquire him. Now let's look at what else they sacrificed: linebacker Adalius Thomas, tackle Tony Pashos, defensive tackle Aubrayo Franklin and fullback Ovie Mughelli. So Jacksonville overpaid for Pashos. He not only started with Baltimore; he started 16 games. So what? So only one other offensive lineman on the Ravens (Mike Flynn) did that. And his loss means the Ravens could -- depending on what Jonathan Ogden does -- be looking at two tackle positions to fill. Remember, this was an offensive line that allowed just 17 sacks, second only to Indianapolis. Thomas was the big-ticket item, and he was gone the minute Baltimore passed on making him a franchise player. The All-Pro linebacker did a lot of things for the Ravens defense, and all of them good. Subtract 11 sacks, 106 tackles and the eight positions he played, and your defense is bound to suffer.

Three teams I don't get
Houston: I'm sorry, but signing Ahman Green does not fix your running game. The Texans drew up an $8 million check this season for a guy who missed 13 of his last 27 games and who, at 30, is winding down. The past two years he averaged 3.8 yards per carry and produced five 100-yard games. He had 10 in 2003. This is just another reason why the Texans should've drafted Reggie Bush or Vince Young with last year's No. 1 pick. Heck, Young is a quarterback, and I'll take him as a running back over Green. When you make a mistake on a top five draft pick it can take years to correct. Look what happened with San Diego and Ryan Leaf. The Texans just lunged at another pitch outside the strike zone, and it will cost them -- both at the bank and on the field.

Tampa Bay: I just don't know what the plan is ... if there is a plan. The Buccaneers re-sign Chris Simms, then bring in Jeff Garcia. OK, that's good for Garcia, not good for Simms. Then they sign tackle Luke Petitgout after the Giants pass. Listen, New York needs offensive linemen like the Mideast needs peace, so when the Giants give up on a guy -- particularly someone who was their starting left tackle -- you have to wonder what's left. So I wonder. Patrick Chukwurah? My lasting memory of him was blowing cookies on the field against New England. I know he can play, but he was strictly second team on a Broncos defense that faded down the stretch. You sign him, let Dewayne White walk, and that's supposed to be a good thing? Sorry, don't get it.

Cleveland: I like the Eric Steinbach signing, though not at the price the Browns paid. But then they go out and pick up running back Jamal Lewis. Granted, it's a one-year deal, but why sign him at all? He's worn out and not close to the guy who was the 2003 Offensive Player of the Year. I assume we all agree that Cleveland takes Adrian Peterson with the third pick of the draft. Then why not keep Reuben Droughns as the backup? I'll take him over Lewis at this point of their careers. And speaking of Droughns ... Tim Carter? Are you kidding me? He was an underachieving wide receiver with the Giants who always seemed to get hurt. And when he did play he dropped every other pass. He doesn't make you a better football team. Antwan Peek? Kenny Wright? Are you going to tell me you can't find comparable ... or better ... players in the draft? GM Phil Savage can. He's demonstrated it. So why collect detritus now?

cont:

Three guys who might want to reconsider
1. Dominic Rhodes: He signs with Oakland, which is a coup for the Raiders. For years they ignored the run; now they have Rhodes and LaMont Jordan, with fullback Justin Griffith to block for them. That's a start. But let's look at this from Rhodes' perspective: Just where, exactly, does he plan to run? I mean, could he have found a worse offensive line? The Raiders last year couldn't run and couldn't pass, and their offensive line had more holes than the Garden State Parkway. This reminds me of last year's Edgerrin James' signing, without the megabucks. James was supposed to perk up a sorry rushing attack; then people looked at the offensive line in front of him and figured out that LaDainian Tomlinson couldn't help these guys.

2. Dillon: Yeah, sure, that was a good career move asking out of New England. Just look at everyone lining up to sign him.

3. Jamal Lewis: You left Baltimore to do what ... back up Peterson? That's how this one-year deal looks. There's a future in Cleveland all right, only it's not for Lewis. It's for the next back who steps off the bus.

Three under-the-radar moves I like
The Giants' re-signing of center Shaun O'Hara: Shortly after the club resolved to lose O'Hara to another club he rejoined the team ... and at a relatively (and I can't stress that enough) cheap price. That's good for O'Hara, who wanted to stay in his home state, and good for a Giants team that held the line on spending and kept a key offensive lineman.

2. Indianapolis' re-signing linebacker Rob Morris. The Colts played lights out against the run in the playoffs, and people wondered what happened. Once they got past Bob Sanders and Anthony McFarland they took a look at Morris. Moving him to the outside was critical to the success of a rejuvenated defense.

3. Miami signing fullback Cory Schlesinger. Coach Cam Cameron had Lorenzo Neal in front of Tomlinson in San Diego, so he knows the value of a lead blocker. Schlesinger is a solid people-mover who can do for Ronnie Brown what Neal did for L.T. Not only that, but he picks up blitzes well. That's a bonus for the next quarterback ... whoever he may be.

My idea of a good signing
San Diego retained left guard Dielman after the club assumed it would lose him to Seattle. But here's something you almost never hear anymore: Dielman took less money to stay with the Chargers. In fact, he took millions less. Keeping him is big because Dielman is a tough, solid performer. In fact, there are people in San Diego who thought he was the team's best offensive lineman a year ago. All I know is that he played on a side where Tomlinson ran most of the time, and there has to be a reason. Keeping Dielman paired with left tackle Marcus McNeill ensures that Tomlinson keeps running left. It also keeps all of the Chargers' offensive line starters under contract through the next two years, with three of them tied up through the next five. This, folks, is why general manager A.J. Smith makes the big bucks.

My idea of a bad signing
Minnesota pays $8 million for a tight end not named Gonzalez or Gates? You have to be kidding. Nope, the Vikings shelled out $8 million for Visanthe Shiancoe, and, nope, I wouldn't have known him, either, if I didn't live in New York. The guy played behind Jeremy Shockey and did virtually nothing in his four years with the Giants. I can see taking a flyer on him, but at $8 million? Please.

Three happiest guys
1. McGahee:
OK, OK, so he wasn't a free agent. He would've been one a year from now, which is one reason Buffalo scrambled to get something for him while it could. McGahee wasn't happy in Buffalo, and the natives weren't all that pleased with him, either, after that "Maybe the Team Would Be Better Off in Toronto" comment. Anyway, he gets out of Buffalo; he goes to a club (Baltimore) where he can win; and he gains a rich new contract. Suddenly, life is good.

2. Garcia: After Philadelphia passed on him, preferring to sign A.J. Feeley as Donovan McNabb's backup, Garcia started looking like the NFL's answer to Philip Nolan. Then Houston and Oakland inquired, and tell me which of those two clubs you'd like to quarterback at 37: Houston allowed 43 sacks, or 25 fewer than it did in 2005, and Oakland allowed a league-worst 72. Garcia wants to play football, not serve as someone's piñata. As it turns out, Garcia didn't have to choose either because Tampa Bay rescued him and offered a contract that pays $5 million the first season. Terrific. He can start and make money. Plus, he plays for a club that was in the playoffs two years ago. Oakland last made it in 2002. And Houston? Don't ask.

3. Stallworth: Another guy who looked as if he might be in trouble, especially after the Philadelphia Inquirer ran that story about his being involved in a drug treatment program. Then he signs a six-year contract with New England that could be worth as much as $33 million. OK, so it looks more like a one-year deal when you look at the $8 million in bonuses due next February and March. Nevertheless, at those figures, Stallworth becomes the No. 1 receiver for Tom Brady. And that's a good thing. Look what it did for Branch's career.

Biggest gamble
Offensive lineman Leonard Davis. Dallas made him one of free-agency's big winners when it rewarded him with a $50 million contract after he did nothing with Arizona. With the re-signing of tackle Marc Columbo, the Cowboys can make Davis their right guard. Good. That's the perfect spot for him. He demonstrated he can't play left tackle, where he allowed eight sacks and committed nine false starts last season. But he could be the next Larry Allen at guard. One problem: Critics said he was undercharged at Arizona; that he lacked motivation. Their question: How is paying him $50 mil going to motivate him now? Ah, that's where the gamble is.

Surest thing
Thomas gets my vote now that he's in New England. Pete Prisco and I disagree on the guy, but one thing we share is a belief that he can star in an unorthodox defense. Well, he just met one, with Belichick running so many looks at opponents that the Pats defense sometimes seems to be auditioning for Sybil. Guaranteed: Belichick will keep Thomas moving so much opponents will have a hard time tracking him. That's good for New England; bad for opponents.

YEAH, the Bronco's always get left out of these things! Damn media always riding the coat tails of the Patsies!

Broncos are Top 3 in this offseason, Travis henry a hard nosed running back brings back the Broncos running game to the TD says, Ben Watson enough said a stuf TE who can block and receive and he aint easy to tackle, Dre Bly well if he doesnt stay and the Broncos get the #6 pick from the redskins with bly and our pick that would be studly as well. Getting rid of Tatum the bum and George Foster a real loser was a great move.

Who do you think will get more carries Mike Bell or Henry?

atrain2004 said:
Broncos are Top 3 in this offseason, Travis henry a hard nosed running back brings back the Broncos running game to the TD says, Ben Watson enough said a stuf TE who can block and receive and he aint easy to tackle, Dre Bly well if he doesnt stay and the Broncos get the #6 pick from the redskins with bly and our pick that would be studly as well. Getting rid of Tatum the bum and George Foster a real loser was a great move.

I think Steelers really got hurt in free agency, they lost Joey Porter, and a under the radar loss that will be huge is Sean Morey, a backup Wide Reciever who was a special teams standout who went to Arizone with former coaches Russ Grimm and Ken Wisenhunt.
Their coaching staff toook a huge hit with the loss of Bill Cowher and offensive coordinator Ken Wisenhunt and assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm both went to Arizona.

snick103 said:
Who do you think will get more carries Mike Bell or Henry?

Henry will get the majority of the carries, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bell getting some of the action from time to time. Bell showed he can cut and run last season and with his ability to leap a pile he may even show up near the goal line! :)

Back