eBay...How Long is Too Long?

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
So, I bid on and won an eBay auction for a small set of football cards back on 11/5. I placed my bid a day or so before the auction closed and was the only bidder. He had it listed for $0.99 and shipping was $2.32. I paid within a couple hours of winning the auction.

eBay delivery estimate was 11/12...but no tracking number was ever put up. It is now 11/19 and the cards have yet to arrive. I sent the seller a eBay message a couple days ago asking if he had shipped the cards or if there was a delay in shipping. No response so far.

The seller has 192 positives with a 99% feedback score. But, there was one sale about a month ago that he got a negative for because the item was never received and there was no response to email.

I only paid $3.31 for the set (and I bought the set just for the Joe Montana card)...so I'm not super worried. I just don't know at what point I should take further action...and what further action to take. I still feel it's a little early to do anything.

Here is the auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-NFL-KANSAS-CITY-CHIEFS-McDONALDS-FOOTBALL-CARDS-COMPLETE-SET-3-SHEETS-NEWS-/251697683987?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=SXPkeTtl69hkHZwmMMmZjDaXqPM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I agree that it's been enough time already. I understand...things happen that can delay shipping and that's fine, but at least communicate with the other party.

I sent this guy one more message today. I don't want a refund...I want my item. So, I'm giving him a little leeway. If I haven't heard anything by Saturday, I think I will have to deal with eBay.

Richard.. here is an example of "just the opposite". I sold four NASCAR autographs a couple of days ago. FaceBook PMs went back and forth with the PayPal info. I did a follow up PM yesterday to the guy asking if was taking the cards and passed along my paypal info again. He replied "OK". Nothing this morning, so I sent another PM and got an immediate response of "I want them, but not at home and have no internet service where I am at, so will not be able to pay until next week when I get home."

Okay, let me say this... this was NOT a text message. He sent me a message on FaceBook, from his mobile, which means he has to have internet service right?

Last edited:
OK...so my next question is, at what point should I leave negative feedback? I know feedback on eBay is basically useless/dead...but I feel that since this guy ripped me off that I should make a post.

Here is where we are at. I attempted to contact him 3 times through the messenger on my eBay. The auction closed on 11/5/2014 and I paid immediately. I never heard a word from the seller and the item never arrived. No tracking number was ever posted. My assumption is (yes, I know what happens when we assume) that the seller was unhappy with the item selling for $0.99 and won't let it go for that price.

Having heard nothing, I sent the following PM on 11/18:
I just wanted to check in and see if this item has shipped yet? I paid for it on 11/5 and was surprised it hadn't come yet. Is there a delay in shipping it? Thanks.

I felt like giving him the benefit of the doubt was the way to go. Things happen, perhaps there was a legit reason for not shipping or contacting.

No word. So, again on 11/20 I reached out to him again. Still trying to be a nice guy and give the benefit of the doubt...but this time I put a little more force behind it:
This is the second time I am contacting you regarding this item. I have not yet received this item. I understand that sometimes things come up that cause delays in shipping...but I would appreciate some communication from you. Have you shipped this item yet and if not when will it be shipped?

Again, no response. So...I thought I would try one more time on 11/23 and this time I let him know (again politely) letting him know that I was not happy with his lack of communication or his not shipping the item:
This is the last time I will be sending you a message concerning this item. I have been more than patient and understanding. Do you have any intention of shipping this item that I have purchased from you and paid you for or are you simply trying to rip me off? If you do not respond to this message, I will be filing a complaint with eBay and leaving you negative feedback.

Once again, no response. So, the next day (11/24) I started the reporting process with eBay. I had never gone down this road before so I didn't know what to expect. Apparently, the first step is you have to send the seller a message through the Resolution Center. They asked if I wanted the item or a refund and I selected item. I then put the message:
I have attempted to contact you multiple times. I have not received this item.

eBay said I had to wait a week (until 12/1) and if I had not heard from the seller I could escalate. Again, there was no response. So, this morning I was allowed to open a case. The comment I sent with the case was this:
I sent 3 messages to the seller before I went though this process...that makes 4 messages sent without a single response. Item has never been received and seller will not respond to messages.

So, should I leave negative feedback now or do I need to wait until the case is resolved? I would love to receive the item but at this point I HIGHLY doubt that will happen.

hold off leaving any feedback until you know if you are getting the card, getting a refund, or being given the ol' "we don't really care" from eBay/PayPal.

it may take a few days, but the seller will be contacted and hopefully he will send your card(s) out immediately or refund the money.

it may take a few days, but the seller will be contacted and hopefully he will send your card(s) out immediately or refund the money.
Good to know. Looking at his history, in the last month he has had 2 negative feedbacks left:
Never responded to shipping request

and
Never received item and never answer any of my email... I was very surprised

So, something is up with this guy. In both cases, they were less than $20 items.

Also, there is a positive feedback from the "past six months" that says:
Communication was terrible. .only responded to emails once I filed a claim
So, perhaps filing a claim will get him motivated.

shame on him.... but shame on YOU for not checking the feedback. (joking buddy, we have all made that mistake, and learn). I always check feedback before I bid. If I see a negative that is a year old, and nothing but positives over the last year, then I will bid. But, if I see a couple negatives within the last few months.. nope! forget it! not gonna give the person the chance to screw me over.

shame on him.... but shame on YOU for not checking the feedback. (joking buddy, we have all made that mistake, and learn). I always check feedback before I bid. If I see a negative that is a year old, and nothing but positives over the last year, then I will bid. But, if I see a couple negatives within the last few months.. nope! forget it! not gonna give the person the chance to screw me over.
I did check. He had 1 at the time...the other has come up since I bought the item. I bid $1.25 for the cards...so with shipping at had less than $4 risked. I figured for $4 I would risk the 1 negative he had.

Well...unfortunately it looks like I will be getting a refund. I got a message from eBay saying they found the case in my favor and I should get my money back in the next 48 hours.

So, I guess it's time to leave negative feedback and move on.

Back