57 Topps Mickey Mantle BVG-7 inbound :)

Krusin

retired hippie
I got in on a box break over on Blowout & hit what I think is a very nice old school hit. Hero's of Sport is the name of the product & each box has 4 Premium hits (or so they say). Four hits per box, they made 600 boxes & there are 12 Hot Boxes. Inside is 4 sealed hits, either a card or a redemption for a live piece of memorabilia ready to ship. The boxes are $975 not sure what case prices are. I got in on a draft your hit box break, 4 spots random draft, I got 1st slot so I had the choice of any of the 4 items. The box had a redemption for a Gayle Sayers autographed Jersey, a BVG Grade 7 1957 Topps Mickey Mantel, a redemption for an autographed baseball of Al Kaline, and a booklet card from NT of Brock Osweiler.

Needless to say I took the Mantle, the card looks well centered in the video. What do the baseball guys think of a card graded by BVG? I think that's Beckett Vintage Grading. In looking at E-Bay it's an easy $1200 card on completed auctions. I think it's going to the safety deposit box for the time being.

here the vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c8mzewcchQ

i think BGS only grades to a certain date, before that it has to be done via BVG

This. They are respected similarly to BGS, I think PSA probably does better on older stuff because of the registry but BVG is right up there IMO.

Great "pull"!!

Did you get anything else besides the Mantle? I heard your name in another box I thought.

Congrats on that beauty!!

Yeah I'm usually somewhere in the middle to the rear on a lot of these, got lucky on this one. I've done 4 so far, 1st box got 3rd pick & choose a Emmitt Smith Silhouette Jersey/patch auto /10, another 3rd pick (I think) I picked up a PSA/DNA auto of Stan Musial, the last one I got in on I had 2nd pick which should of been great but the box had 1 decent hit that GiantsFan got it was a full size College Helmet auto of Barry Sanders, my pick at 2nd a base card Lebron from Exquisite, that's right a base card was judged to be the best thing left from the box.

With my 4 spots I've done a box random style, if I don't do any more I could come out ahead when it's time to sell. The owner of the company was around when yesterdays 3 boxes were opened all from the same case & it was a dude case for what was spent, needless to say the guy got an ear full.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'm usually somewhere in the middle to the rear on a lot of these, got lucky on this one. I've done 4 so far, 1st box got 3rd pick & choose a Emmitt Smith Silhouette Jersey/patch auto /10, another 3rd pick (I think) I picked up a PSA/DNA auto of Stan Musial, the last one I got in on I had 2nd pick which should of been great but the box had 1 decent hit that GiantsFan got it was a full size College Helmet auto of Barry Sanders, my pick at 2nd a base card Lebron from Exquisite, that's right a base card was judged to be the best thing left from the box.

With my 4 spots I've done a box random style, if I don't do any more I could come out ahead when it's time to sell. The owner of the company was around when yesterdays 3 boxes were opened all from the same case & it was a dude case for what was spent, needless to say the guy got an ear full.

That poor guy. I was trying to explain nicely that a $200 auto helmet should not be the case hit in a $3000 case. Others were just straight killing the guy. He said to email him about it if people had problems. Can't wait to get the Barry helmet. It's an OSU helmet inscribed with heisman 88. Should be cool.

Other card I got? Basketball booklet patch that sells for about $30.

Back