Facebook auctions

Breaker4310

Rookie
Transactions: 12
So I have noticed Facebook is running card auctions. I am kinda leary of joining. I know you can get bad apples everywhere , but putting things out of Facebook and trusting these guys is where I draw the line.

I think as long as you pay with PayPal you're fairly well protected. That said, a lot of those Facebook guys only want to deal in gift payments which, to me, is a little sketchy. I really don't care who "vouches" for you. If I don't know them, and know them well, I certainly am not gambling with my money by sending them a gift payment. I'd rather pay extra to cover the fees if that's the problem. If they can't accept that, then there's probably a reason because taking gift payment "should" only be about the fees.

Facebook and Twitter are two places where the hobby seems to be headed w/sales and trading but I WILL NOT transact there. It is just too weird for me. I don't twitter much anymore and as for facebook it is socializing not hobbyising.

I think as long as you pay with PayPal you're fairly well protected. That said, a lot of those Facebook guys only want to deal in gift payments which, to me, is a little sketchy. I really don't care who "vouches" for you. If I don't know them, and know them well, I certainly am not gambling with my money by sending them a gift payment. I'd rather pay extra to cover the fees if that's the problem. If they can't accept that, then there's probably a reason because taking gift payment "should" only be about the fees.
This!! I'll transact anywhere AS LONG AS IT IS ON MY TERMS! Pay with Paypal (not gift), make sure you know what you are paying for (I see a lot of raffles and "Pick 1" sales). Refusing to consider these as sources for cards/buyers is only limiting yourself.

It may be limiting by refusing to buy/sell on social media, but I don't want to do it. Those are my terms.

It may be limiting by refusing to buy/sell on social media, but I don't want to do it. Those are my terms.

I'm pretty much in agreement with you. While I'm not refusing, by definition, it would have to be a card that I want extremely bad and for the right price. I've yet to find that deal so to this point, I still have not had any transactions using Twitter or Facebook. Since I don't actively seek trades/purchases on those sites, either, it's not likely to happen any time soon either.

I don't do much on them but one thing I do really like is if I see something that one of my friends might like, I can just tag them so it will come up in their alerts. The card communities on the social networks still are aways off from being close to as functional as message boards but I think they serve a different audience (albeit with a lot of crossover between the 2).

Not to stray from the subject (maybe a little) but I do the occasional trade/purchase or sale via blogs which is the closest I'll get to doing card stuff on Facebook or Twitter.

Part of my reasons of being Non-Card active on Facebook is my Facebook world doesn't cross-over to my card trading world that much. I only have about 4 or 5 trading card friends on FB out of 142 friends. Most of my Facebook friends are folks I've met via community theatre (and some of their friends some I've met in real life others I haven't), then I have old school friends and friends I had met along the way other places, and also I have some family "friends" on Facebook.

Back