Advice? Getting 1984 Topps Football Graded

LionRyan

Bench Warmer
I've mentioned this before and I'm seriously going to tackle this. My dad collected the whole set as I was born that year. I have the whole set, in binder page/sleeves. They all seem to be in pretty good condition. The PSA process is scary and confusing.

So here's the questions

1. Looking at prices, I'm considering sending only the Marino RC, Elway RC and Walter Payton set card. Should I send more? Jim Kelly?

2. Is this the right site/list? http://www.psacard.com/Fees/

3. How the hell should I package, ship them?

4. Should I have any concerns or strategy when removing the cards from the tight binder sleeves? I think they were put in there almost immediately after being pulled. This is my biggest concern at the moment.

I'll try to snap some photos of the cards here soon to get your opinions on whether or not I should even send them. As you know, I don't really collect anymore. If they graded well, I'd sell them and buy cheaper, poorer quality cards just to have the full set.

EDIT:

8729522493_2e018a8c65.jpg

8729522651_ac209a5cc3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
send some pics . It also depends on centering , corners, edges and surface. So all that should be checked out before sending. If i were you i would look for the best looking cards rc wise from the set and think about grading those.

I think some people on here have one but grading with PSA (I think) requires a membership. I would grade the big cards only if they look REALLY good. If they only look average, you may very well do better selling them raw.

Any advice is appreciated. Forgive the little random dog hair and what not. All of the cards in the set are in this condition, some of them are offcentered pretty badly (the Walter Payton, unfortunately.) Also have the 1984 Topps Baseball set - generally same condition as well.

8729522493_2e018a8c65.jpg

8729522651_ac209a5cc3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They look decent, but not 10s. I don't think grading them is going to result in net positive over selling them raw. Looks like you can probably get $20-$25 each raw, grading is going to get $30-$35.

Really, I would be pretty hesitant to grade anything coming out of a binder unless I wasn't hoping for 10s.

Back