a new type of eBay 1/1

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
ok, I know that certain serial numbers sell better than others, those being first, last, and jersey number...

I have seen a few 'oddball' ones where the sellers defense was 'there is no other lot like this on eBay' though I could probably duplicate some lots...

today, I saw a 1/1 with justification 'his draft position'

just when I think ive seen it all...

Or when they have his college card and list it 1/1 with jersey number of his pro number or vice versa with pro card and college number on it for serial number.

I really dislike when sellers do this. I never buy cards from sellers who list these types of cards as 1/1's. The same premium can be garnered by simply pointing out it is the first, last or jersey number in the sequence without having to mislead prospective buyers.

Last edited:
I don't really seek them out but I do like getting the pro and college Jersey numbers when I can.

This is something different to me as it is not a significant thing or even something desirable.

I don't buy the "eBay 1/1" hype either. If I want a card, I buy it. While it does matter, price wise, what it's numbered to, I really couldn't care less which one of the cards in the print run it is.

I agree those are not "1/1"s. If it is x/25 then there are 24 other cards just like it (or similar if it is a relic card). I admit I like having #1/x and the last #/x and the jersey number of my fave players. I love having #9 (Sonny Jurgensen) and #44 (John Riggins) of almost any Redskins serial numbered card. I do NOT consider them 1/1s though.

I will pretty much not buy from anyone that lists cards as a 1/1 when they are not numbered that way. Same goes for the folks that try and get more hits from searches by putting players/products/etc.. in title that the card is not, I will block those folks so I don't even see their listings, as when searching for a certain player or a specific product nothing more annoying than seeing Johnny Benchwarmer card or a totally different product as they put 5 different products in the listing title. Seen the later a lot more often lately, along with the more stretched Ebay 1/1 (whats next JSY number x2 - 7?), same goes for the "first" "last card made" nonsense as the printing process and numbering process two different steps (and maybe even the foil too) so there is really no way of knowing what cards "made" first, and besides what does it matter anyway. But then I'm just a grumpy old school collector ;)

Back