When and why did you start collecting?

Cool_Hand_Flash

I might be crazy.. Proof: I'm the co-owner.
Transactions: 6
I started collecting 1995, when the NBA made a big push over here in europe, in an attempt to expand their brand. A whole flood of cards hit us unsuspecting kids, I was 9 or 10 at the time. We loved it, and I liked the Blazers uniform.. and, when they started showing NBA Action on tv, and I saw Cliff Robinson, Buck Williams and one of my faves of all time Arvydas Sabonis, I just went with them.. the collecting became more and more.. then people lost interest, and I was left as the only one still collecting. No cards to be found any where, no shops had them and being a kid still, this was around 2000/01, I had no chance to keep it going. So, I was forced on a break.. then in 2007, I was on a two week vacation with my dad to the states.. found a couple of blaster boxes.. and whadda ya know, it was as strong as it ever was :) that christmas I bought some boxes on ebay and off it went again..

Any one else want to share their card story? :)

I used to collect cards quite a bit with the kids in my neighborhood when I was younger and it just kinda faded out. You know, kids and their fads. A lot of years went by, most of my cards were either thrown out or lost. One day I stumbled upon a Kobe Bryant rookie and, just wondering what it was worth, looked it up on eBay. I went from looking at that card, to looking at thousands that day. I discovered that there were game-used cards and autograph cards. When I was collecting as a kid nothing like that existed. Anyways, I ended up catching the bug. The next time I went to Walmart I stopped by the cards and bought a few packs. I felt just like a little kid again opening those packs and I've been hooked ever since.

I too started collecting at a young age. My Dad was into cards early when I was born, and we would always sit on eBay or different online trading forums and make trades. We ended up going on a quest to complete all of the Topps Football sets from 1975 to 2007, and we finished it. Pretty cool. My Dad faded out of the hobby a while after we completed the Topps quest, but I kept going strong. I would always pick up some packs whenever we were at Wal-Mart or Target, but one day I went to an event called Pack Wars at our LCS and pulled some nice stuff and won different prizes. I think by having that experience with other collectors who had the same passion as me really fueled my collecting fire. Then, I got involved on trading sites online and I've been hooked ever since. I'm now 17, and I would love to open up a hobby shop with a buddy or two when I'm done with college.

I started collecting when I was about 6 or 7. The main reason that I started was because both of my older brothers were collecting cards, and of course you have to do what they do. My interest faded out in the early 90's, but I really got back into it somewhere around '99 or 2000, and I have stayed strong ever since.

I've collected cards on and off since I was around 12. I remember when I was 8, my parents just gave me a bunch of cards. I don't know how they got em, where they came from. It was a mix of early-mid90s stuff. I also remember my grandma got me a set 0f 1995 UD Collector's Choice baseball for Christmas and that's where the collection started too. I'd buy cards from the vending machine at the supermarket and the rare blaster box I would get. When I was around 16, I wasn't into cards much. By that time, I'd get a blaster for my birthday and that's my cards for the year. Now that I think about it, 03/04 was the only season in the early 2000s I didn't have cards in. I only had maybe a packs worth or something. Boy too bad I didn't get a blaster that year...The bug bit me lethally in 2004/2005, my senior year of high school. I got into it even more as I went through college but then it died down a little the past couple years. I sort of am a collector "in the closet." Only a few people know that I collect autos and cards etc but it's not to the extent they would think. I've always liked autographs and it also really picked up for me early in college. A couple years later, it slowly became hardcore and I believe it's at its highest level right now. Sometimes I regret being addicted to this hobby. But at the end of the day when I see all the signed photos in my mancave and some of the stories attached with them, I get a little bit of satisfaction.

I started as a kid in the 70's, collecting with my dad. I was a HUGE Cincinnati Reds fan and loved to collect all of their cards. Since then all of my old collection was lost or ruined. I started collecting again in 2008 and now have the knowledge to do it correctly. I collect all sports but mainly baseball. I am also a big fan of Kentucky Wildcat basketball, and since they have become a minor leagues for the NBA in recent years, I hav began collecting more and more basketball cards. To all of the collectors, remember to love the collecting more then the price of the cards.

To all of the collectors, remember to love the collecting more then the price of the cards.

I believe this is something that is almost unheard of these days. Thanks for the reminder!

Been collecting cards for as long as I can remember (have also collected other things over the years). Probably started because of my brothers both older than me and they collected at one time or another. The oldest one being 10 years older than me was bascially out of collecting when I first started. I do recall at time when my other brother and I would trade cards we both had these plastic card holders/boxes that were designed to look like tall gym lockers. I think his was blue and my red, maybe the other way around. If I recall correctly they were only about 1 foot long I thought they had two main rows, maybe just one. You could adjust the "shelves" and even label the shelves by team with the stickers they provided.

Back