New here, old cards in Australia

Skyring

Bench Warmer
Peter in Canberra here. During the early 90s I collected a heap of baseball cards, diversified out into games, such as Magic and Lord of the Rings. I'd have several thousand of these things, but it's been years since I looked at them.

I'd like to go about disposing of them before the wife either does it for me into the recycling bin or I get sick of them and do the same.

I'd like to be able to get them to good and appropriate homes, maybe make some money - there must be some good ones in that lot, but every time I contemplate the amount of work involved to list 'em on eBay, I decide to put if off for another day!

I'd be keen on advice.

Cheers,
Peter

Welcome to the site, Peter! I know what you mean about the work involved listing them on ebay. I spent the entire night tonight relisting my fixed auctions that ended today without any sales, and then I listed a bunch more new cards. Hopefully, my efforts will pay off with some paypal spending money this week. Good luck with your persue to liquidate. Hopefully, someone here will be able to help you out. If you have any hockey stuff, let me know.

Troy

Peter in Canberra here. During the early 90s I collected a heap of baseball cards, diversified out into games, such as Magic and Lord of the Rings. I'd have several thousand of these things, but it's been years since I looked at them.

I'd like to go about disposing of them before the wife either does it for me into the recycling bin or I get sick of them and do the same.

I'd like to be able to get them to good and appropriate homes, maybe make some money - there must be some good ones in that lot, but every time I contemplate the amount of work involved to list 'em on eBay, I decide to put if off for another day!

I'd be keen on advice.

Cheers,
Peter
hey Peter! just a bit of advice here. in the 80's and 90's card companies printed waaaaaay tooooo many cards. this caused the market for these cards diluted leaving them virtually worthless. having said that, there might be someone out there that would take these off your hands but they probably wont pay very much for them unfortunately. if this gives you some idea of what i mean, i have a 1989 upper deck ken griffey jr. rookie card that i would only be able to get about $15 for. this era is very difficult to sell as not many collectors or dealers would even want these. I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you but i figured i'd at least try to save you from wasting alot of time trying to sell these. very few cards from the 90's have much value if any at all. i hope this helps. good luck.

Thanks, Tim W!

Yeah, there was a bit of a bubble going on, all right. To be honest, I'm not worried about getting top dollar for these cards. I'd like to hook them up with people who want them, as opposed to throwing them away.

Once upon a time, I could buy a magazine to check prices, pull out the best cards from each set and list them on eBay, and the commons could go hang.

I thought that the internet would have seen card values go online, and I guess they have, but the folk listing them want a fee to see their values. Not sure I want to go down that road. I'd prefer to make a bit of money rather than spend it!

--Peter

Welcome to the site, Peter! ... If you have any hockey stuff, let me know.
I probably have a few, a very few. Not a big ice hockey fan. Baseball presses my buttons, mostly.

I bought a few of most issues from the period, but Upper Deck was my favorite. The quality of design and production attracted me. Later on, it seemed that every company was busy putting out "specials" and collectibles just for the sake of it. I've got a few of those, but I didn't generally warm to them.

--Pete

Back