May be time for me to leave the Hobby

urbanmonk

Bench Warmer
Upper Deck appears to be having different prices between US and Canada. Premier came out yesterday and it is cheaper online stores in Canada than in the US. As in cheaper in CAD than in USD price (figure in the exchange rate and that makes it over 30% higher in the US for MSRP, so there is no way in heck they charging same price for Distributors). Not that it hasn't become a joke on price for a box versus value in a box, just another straw to bust the camels back so to speak as it is hard enough being a Hockey collector in the US. Course they haven't even replied to me on their Facebook page (though that might be best as if they gave me a BS response I would probably get banned from their page when I went off on them ;) LOL).

The problem, in my opinion, is because of the exclusive contracts. There is no competition for these companies so they can do pretty much whatever they want.

That said, this is a big reason I don't buy boxes for my personal use. I have very specific collecting interests so I'm much better off using my money to buy singles or join group breaks when I can get my teams. I'm not sure how much you buy for yourself, but maybe rather than leaving the hobby all together you could just take a break from buying boxes. I know there are quite a few people who would be sad to see you gone for good.

I have drastically lowered the number of boxes I buy a year the last couple years, and with only one licensed Manufacturer a problem if I boycott a company ;) (Not into ITG/Leaf cards and been that way about unlicensed stuff for years now). The whole Epack thing was my last "is this the last straw" moment this year, so nothing like them adding to my frustration. Nothing etched in stone, but been little things adding up for years that make me wonder why I am in this Hobby (lots of other things I can waste my money on). Last night I watched cases of $320 one pack a box product opened, and one or two of the tins you might be able to sell the contents and break even or be slightly ahead on based on what things been selling for lately, the rest were a "SV of $100-$275 less than the price point". $50 SV on a $300+ box is pretty freaking bad, one could probably do better more often buying $300 worth of scratch it lottery tickets ;) and might even have more fun for your money lol. I don't have a way to store Memorabilia like jerseys, maybe build up my Autographed Puck collection or something. Like I said not sure if this sending me over the edge or not yet, UD just lucky Homey don't Tweet, but I'm sure someone else will figure it out and blast their backside online about it ;)

wooohoo Cup presales 660 CAD in Canada or 675 USD in the States, so with todays exchange 660 CAD = 502.57 USD......yeah UD can kiss my ____

Is Upper Deck manufacturing cards in Canada now? I guess that could explain a hike in price for the US. Otherwise, they should be slightly more expensive because of the cost to deliver them. Perhaps they could be trying to build a bigger Canadian market by selling them the cards cheaper than here in the US. If not for either of those reasons, though, I'm confused as to why the price would be cheaper in Canada.

Is Upper Deck manufacturing cards in Canada now? I guess that could explain a hike in price for the US. Otherwise, they should be slightly more expensive because of the cost to deliver them. Perhaps they could be trying to build a bigger Canadian market by selling them the cards cheaper than here in the US. If not for either of those reasons, though, I'm confused as to why the price would be cheaper in Canada.

All Hobby shops have similar percentage needed for a profit margin, so only explanation is UD is selling them 20-30% cheaper to the Canadian Dealers, as Exchange between the dollars is $1 US= $1.32 CAD (least that was todays exchange rate according to online search), so with Exchange should be that much more to buy it in CAD. And far as I know they still an American company, so the heck with them they won't get anymore of my money, EVER.

It was hard enough for me to buy a box alone with the prices, probably why I do so many Group Box Breaks and just buy single cards here and there as its been cheaper to just buy the card you want, then buy a $500 Box of the Cup and not get the player you want. Every time there's a Hot player like Mcdavid they raise the price on everything, 15-16 has 5-10 good RCs Larkin, Mcdavid etc...the monopoly in the hobby and UD has the upper hand, thank the NHLPA also for taking a nice pay cut from UD to knock off Panani from Hockey...just stupid... Back in the day I liked just the plain old Rookie card from OPC and Tops...just saying

The big thing i see is UD caters to Canada they buy the most hockey in general . But they also get charged more most times. But a new thing UD did as well they made it to where online breakers can't sell US guys a single box . But they can sell you spots in breaks. I've felt for yrs that UD doesn't care about the US buyers since we are not a big hockey buyer to them.

Back