Hockey Avalanche want to host outdoor game

redwing40

Veteran
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
The Colorado Avalanche say they're talking to the NHL about the possibility of hosting an outdoor game next season.

Team President Josh Kroenke is "pushing the league quite hard" to hold a game out in the elements in what would be the franchise's 20th season in the Mile High City.

Kroenke said Tuesday they haven't settled on a site yet, but it could very well be Coors Field, home of the Colorado Rockies, or possibly Sports Authority Field at Mile High, where Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos play.

Kroenke said he feels "very optimistic about our chances" as he talked ahead of the team's season opener Thursday in Minnesota.

The Avs are coming off a season in which they returned to the playoffs for the first time since 2010.

I like watching them, I even play them on my EA Soprts Hockey, has that old school feel when I used to play hockey when I was young outside at the Rink :)

I like the outdoor hockey, but it needs to be (pun intended) kept in check. when there are 1 or 2 a year its huge, now we are at what 3?...its like interleague play in baseball...the Cubs and Sox always played an exhibition game, then we went to a couple series at a time where it was 'interleague' week or whatever, now, any given day the AL can be playing the NL for no reason at all...its overkill...im glad to see NCAA football backing off a bit on the bowls...really how great is it when your team is in the Ray's Chili with Sour Cream Bowl, Sponsored by Rays Quick Lube and Tire Center on the corner of Jackson and 8th...

seriously, the INTERNATIONAL BOWL?...NIU went 2 years in a row...the school has around 25,000 people enrolled, of those, say half have passports, so now the fan pool is 12,500, of those, maybe 25% go to HOME games (Free student tickets), down to 3125 fans, then probably 1 in 8 can AFFORD to go to the game, so we are under 400 students going to the game...I know, I know, the alumni will go and players families will go, so we will call it 4000 fans in a stadium that is meant to hold 40,000...its terrible, sure there is another team, but they are coming from who knows where and likely have a similar demographic...

I noticed that last year, personally didn't know they had others playing than the Wings vs Toronto, it should be a one game a year thing, make's it special to watch :)

Back