Auto Partially Cut Off By Sticker

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
I was browsing some cards, for potential trades, today and I came across a card I wanted. However, the auto was a cut off of the edge of the sticker. It made me think, does this drop the value of the card?

For me, it definitely devalues the card. Having a sticker auto is one thing, but when part of the auto is missing I'm just not a fan at all. Don't get me wrong, if it's a card I REALLY want, I'd take it but I'd always be on the lookout for one that could replace it in my collection.

What do you guys think? If part of the auto is missing, because it doesn't all fit on the sticker, is the card still worth the same to you?

I think it is like getting a great low numbered card with a dink on one corner. It may still be a great pull but the value is definately lower.

As far as fair market pricing goes... Yes, it affects the price. Even for top tier players. And from a collecting standpoint it has bothered me in the past... Unless it was HTF or low numbered auto I wasn't able to locate prior.

As far as fair market pricing goes... Yes, it affects the price. Even for top tier players. And from a collecting standpoint it has bothered me in the past... Unless it was HTF or low numbered auto I wasn't able to locate prior.

I've never really looked at the pricing, but I can see where it would be affected, just judging off of the small number of replies here.

I agree with you, that if it's a hard to get card I'd definitely grab it. Like I said, though, I would always be in search of a replacement that I could put into the collection in its place.

Hate it! Absolutely hate it.. with a passion.. And it bugs me that some of the players/athletes don't really care if they sign properly appearantly, because you see it a lot. Sticker autos in general are annoying to me..

Depending on the roll or sheet that the stickers are on when they are signing them I bet some of the players even if they do care some can't tell where the sticker really ends. Also after signing just a few dozen stickers I bet they are too tired to really care.

Depending on the roll or sheet that the stickers are on when they are signing them I bet some of the players even if they do care some can't tell where the sticker really ends. Also after signing just a few dozen stickers I bet they are too tired to really care.
I think you're right Kirk, the stickers are prolly right up against each other, Ive seen some that has the bottom of another auto on the top of the sticker, so thats prolly a main reason why it happens so often.. sadly.. and yes, if you had to sign literally 1000's of autos, I think you start to not really focus, and just want to get it over with.

Not that anyone would ever want my auto* but I couldn't make my sig fit on one of those stickers. I write very large when signing anything. Don't know why.

*=actually I did sign a few in the lobby of the hotel the Vikings were staying at for the 1974 SB in Houston. But that's a story for another day/forum. :p

Ok, ok, I didn't want to derail the thread but....

.... back in January of '74 when that Super Bowl hype train rolled into Houston my buddies and I were really into it. We'd adopted the Vikings as our rooting interest (I was still highly pissed at Don Shula for leaving my BALTIMORE Colts). Anyway we knew the Vikes were staying at the Shamrock Hilton which was a ritzy address back in the day and was still the place to stay for visiting teams. We took some friends and hung out in the lobby just to see what we could see. Unlike today there was very little in the way of limiting access or anything like that. I remember us walking right in and there not being a whole lot of other gawkers. Mostly dads with kids and young teens. There were players coming in and out of the lobby heading to dinner or towards the elevators. I remember recognizing Bill Brown with his flattop hairdo.

I still looked like a football player then, 6-2 and around 240ish, I was only a year or so from my playing days (as opposed to today when I look like a broken down old coach :really:). Add to that the fact that I was dressed up in a leather jacket and brought my astonishingly beautiful girlfriend (don't tell my wife, those are two separate people:devilish: ) and it wasn't long before kids were coming up to me and one of my friends with pennants and index cards and asking us to sign. Luckily none of them asked us exactly who we were. I didn't know what my friend was signing but I just signed my real name.

We hung out awhile until the novelty wore off (or someone actually questioned us) and we went and had dinner ourselves. I'm still close to a couple of those guys. We still talk about that. (I'm no longer close to that astonishing beautiful girlfriend. :()

I bet there is a Vikings Super Bowl VIII autographed pennant up on eBay right now. Don't buy it. At least two of the sigs are probably bogus!

Back