2012 Bowman review

franklinguy52

Mr. Baseball
Staff member
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
To start this thread, I will tell you one of the downfalls of living in a small town. Bowman came out on Wednesday, so on Friday I drove to my local hobby shop (25 miles from home) only to find that they had not recieved the new issue yet! Oh well, so I can not go to the shop and leave empty handed so I picked up 3 hobby packs of 2012 Gypsy Queen and got this:

c8b3e4f0.jpg

Pretty nice consolation prize! He is one the hottest hitters in the game!

So I went back today and was able to get a hobby box of the new Bowman. It was NOT a great box but it does give me some cards to show off. To start, the base cards are a nice design. Bowman always sticks with a basic design but changed it up enough this year to give it a fresh look. The best base I got was Yu Darvish:

Collection366.jpg

Then there is chrome versions of both the prospect cards and the base. Here is the Bryce Harper base chrome (I guess this will now be his rookie card):

Collection364.jpg

The best chrome prospects were the #1 draft pick last year (Gerrit Cole) and another hot Nationals prospect (Anthony Rendon)

Collection363.jpg

For the inserts, they once again have the Bowman's Best with prospects and veterans:

Collection360.jpg

They also have taken a page from the Topps base sets with a type of "sparkle" refractor (there was only 1 in the hobby box):

Collection362.jpg

And they have the international variations, diplaying the flag of the players home as the background (recieved 4 of these):

Collection361.jpg

I picked up 2 blue variations numbered to 450 (the Verlander was a pretty nice pck up):

Collection359.jpg

I also got 1 orange variation numbered to 250:

Collection358.jpg

Hobby boxes feature just 1 auto this year, but it is an ON CARD auto on the chrome versions. I recieved a base but they do have several numbered variations.

Collection365.jpg

Dillon is suppose to be a good prospect, he was taken in the 2nd round of the draft last year by the Cleveland Indians. The best thing I found out about him is that he gave a significant portion of his $1.85 million signing bonus to and Autism group in the name of his brother. I thought that this was pretty cool for a 19 year old to do.

Let me know what you all think of the set!

Nice box, and a very cool story about Howard. It is nice to see when players do these types of things.

Whoops! Double post.. so I'll just say awesome hit you got in the packs after the disappointing drive :D

Back