where is the creativity?

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
i think most will agree, but what the heck happened to the creativity in trading cards? i totally understand that they produce a ton of products and have been doing so for years, but this is suppose to be the creative age.

i just saw a picture of the new Exquisite football, and i swear it looks like last year or the year before in terms of design. i hate when the same photo is used for multiple sets, like if i see a Bowman Chrome, it shouldnt have the exact same picture as Score. i get the refractors all being the same image, but they are all from the same essential set.

i am also getting sick of all these 'throwback' cards. i remember the Turn Back the Clocks from 1987 Topps which were cool. they were the OLD 'throwback' card from 1956 or whatever, but like 3/4 the size, with the 1987 wood border. then there was Topps Archives from like 92 or 93 Basketball, where they had players in card designs from their rookie year, but how the Topps Baseball issue for that year was, so the Michael Jordan with the 1984 Topps team name down the side style. but now you have a product like Topps where they have what 1956 tall boys, then there is the 1986 topps design, and god knows what else is being done since i dont buy much 'current' product, or sports outside of football

the 1990's were like the golden age of design. it is tough to argue that inserts NOW are a slicker design. i remember the old Pinnacle Aces inserts from what 93 or 94? sure Topps Gold was kind of lame, but the 90s brought us the Atomic Refractors. the 93 SP Holoviews and Die Cuts were cool...

have the companies just done it all? sure we get autograph hockey sticks, patches, and whatnot, but really, a Letterman that doesnt even have a PICTURE of the athlete?

i will say that the 2010 Crown Royal football was cool where they have the diecut of the athlete OVER a cool patch...

anyone else feel like me?

Yeah, I agree. Don't understand why there is so little innovation.

At the same time, Think back to the 90s....each Donruss set, Fleer, Topps....looked completely different. With so many sets now, branding is important to differentiate each , product when each company is churning out so many different products.

Back