Football Pro Bowl

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
does anyone even care about this game anymore?

I think it is about the dumbest thing there is in sports and annoys the hell out of me...I liked what it once was, but all that is gone, and the lack of actual playing isn't the worst of it...

the NFL plays several games a year in London now, and it once played 1 game a year in Honolulu...for those of you who don't know, there is a TON of military in Honolulu and it was fairly easy for the military to get tickets to the game and then like the 'top' guys (as in the leaders as well as the 'sailor of the year/quarter' and 'marine of the year/quarter') got to do things with the athletes, be it mingling on the sideline during the game, or attending some public function...

aside from Hawaii, Alaska is the only other state where it isn't realistic to attend a game, sure Montana is sort of in the boonies, but you get the idea, folks in North Dakota and such typically go to a Vikings game if they want to go to an NFL game...its like a 5 hour FLIGHT from Honolulu to Los Angeles, im sure there are direct flights to San Diego, which is also a military mecca and has a football team, so the flight would be roughly the same, as its 100 miles or so from LAX to San Diego...

they also once had the SKILLS competition, guys driving on golf cards with bullseye targets for the QBs to throw at...running/catching drills for the WR and RBs, the defensive guys had blocking bags and a short course, and most of it was on TV...it was more like what the NHL does, where it was an HONOR to go, not like what the NBA has become either where a guy who averages 3 minutes a game or less is in the Slam Dunk Contest...no longer is it an actual ALL STAR, like in the 80's with Dominique Wilkins, Spud Webb, and Michael Jordan...

there is still a military contingent in the greater Phoenix area, but its what, 2 hours from Yuma, the local 'active duty' base...I have a friend that was still in the Navy Reserves and he was on flag duty on drill weekend for a couple Cardinals games, where he was one of the guys holding the giant flag during the national anthem...im sure military will be involved, but not nearly as much as if it were still in Hawaii...

I would like the game to go back to Hawaii at least every other year and I think once in awhile, maybe every 5 years or so, send it up to Alaska, because there are several bases there...they probably have a dome somewhere up there to play, or go into what I think the Pro Bowl should become, which is more like a Pro-Am softball game for charity...

Next year they will have it return to Hawaii. I'm not a fan of this new "fantasy team" non-conference format they started last year. It doesn't do a thing for the fans. At least with the conference format if your favorite team didn't have any players represented you could still root for your favorite team's conference. Now you have to find the dang team list online somewhere to figure out if there are ANY players you EVEN Like playing and pick whichever team has the most players that you have heard of. With the conference style format they could claim that the winning conference would host the next season's Super Bowl so their conference would have "home field" but they don't even do that anymore. Oh and the uniform colors. I didn't dig the traditional Red vs. Blue and some of their wild combinations in more recent years but this gray with neon yellow and neon Orange has GOT TO GO.

I do like that now they have it before the Stupid er Super Bowl, instead of the week after. At least there is still some interest in seeing football while waiting for the Super Bowl.

Just like the NHL All-Star game, it wasn't on National TV, it was either on a prem. Channel or you had to stream it, so I missed it, from the sound of it, I didnt miss anything

Just like the NHL All-Star game, it wasn't on National TV, it was either on a prem. Channel or you had to stream it, so I missed it, from the sound of it, I didnt miss anything
Yeah I think Pro Bowl was on ESPN and the NHL was on SportsNet (for us who have cable provided by Comcast/Xfinity)

Back