eBay sellers (the liars)

Jmattt33

Prospect
Transactions: 8
I can't stand looking through my favorite players (tavon Austin) cards on eBay. One reason. I know about every price for every card of his. And I see a newly listed card where the seller has "BV $120" on an $80 card. Or even twice as much as the actual price. I think eBay should have a policy to where you can't lie about the value of the card. These are sellers with over 2 and 3000 feedback. They have experience and obviously should know what they are doing. If not. Pick up a current beckett and educate yourself. Before someone that's not in the know of current pricing overlays for a card that they think is worth way more than what it is. I know a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay but still.

Overpays*. And yes, I do understand this could be intentional and they are doing it to maximize profit. I just couldn't feel decent about myself for pulling a stunt like that. It's shady and I do not condone any behavior like that.

Beckett does not really have anything to do with what a card is worth. The "problem" is that everyone gets so many free listings that there is little motivation to price things at the going rate. Not when so many cards sell at well above market. I feel like I price my things fair, and sell enough to back up that claim, but a lot of people's business plan is based on selling fewer cards at inflated prices - and to be fair, I consider potential and what I paid when I price a card. Also, keep in mind with all the listing tools that most people are not necessarily pricing recently. I have cards I set the price on a year ago. Some even longer than that. Just not worth the time to go through thousands of listings to find ones that should be changed. Occassionally I will blow stuff out, let it ride at 50 cents, use formulas to adjust prices, but that is definitely more the exception than the rule.

Feel the same about folks that list something as a 1/1 when it isn't (01/10, 10/10, jsy number, jsy number= numberx3/pi, etc..). If it don't say 1/1 then it isn't period IMHO. Though personally anyone that lists a BV I'm going to check completed sales anyway as BV don't mean a whole heck of a lot far as what something is selling for, except like in my PC guy where I know what his stuff goes for far as a range goes, and if their asking price for a Mike Modano JSY AU is the same as what 3 Gretzky AUs go for then I just laugh and move on to next listing as they never going to sell it for that. While I"m on my rant lol same goes for folks that put things in the title that isn't that card (different players, high end product names when it is mid range stuff, etc..) just to get more hits by folks searches. Maybe they don't realize or maybe I'm in the minority, but anyone that lists things any of those ways I will never buy anything from them even if the price is good or low even, as I just don't trust them (same goes for trading/buying/selling on online Forums) as any "red flags" like that will make me wary of dealing with them ever.

not a fan of the selling of say a Jacob Tamme auto with Peyton Mannings TE in the title?

I do not list BV in any of my listings, and when people send an offer and then tell me what beckett tells them, I just stick them on my block list, because if beckett is making decisions for you, I cant help you...

another one of my favorites would be selling like a topps chrome with 'exquisite condition' in the title

I know there are people out there with crazy priced stuff, some folks even say that some of my stuff is crazy priced, but im not out there trying to get $5 +shipping on a Topps Rookie Progression Adarius Bowman...im sure THE BOOK says its probably a $5 card, but to me, its $1.49 or so, I would say 90% of the stuff I list can be found in the under $5 boxes at a show...some stuff I feel is worth more than current market, so ill price it above current market...

a couple months ago I had a guy email me wanting to buy all my scrub autos/jerseys, he didn't give me a price per or anything, just that he wanted them...so I responded back 'you are wasting your time if you think im going to fire sale. I don't pay listing fees, I already spent the time to make the listings, so if you are looking to just buy them for under $1, im not interested'....

obviously dude didn't email me back, but im not about to 'give away' anything...I would say at least 50% of auctions that end of lots that are ALL autos, sell for $1+ per card, when they end under $1 per, usually I was bidding on them or won them, but I lose a ton of lots because they go for over $1...

also, by peddling low end stuff, I learn of the outlier players, so at a show when im going through the cheap boxes I can find cards for $1 that I know I can sell for $5...

I also price based on rarity in many cases...there isn't a whole lot of Olympic stuff out there, so I don't have common autos listed at $1.49, because I know I can get more, or ill hold for more...I have a Jarett Dillard Bowman Chrome Superfractor Auto priced where other scrub ones sell...there are plenty of cards that I could list at $0.99 that would sell for $0.99, but I could also put them out for $3.49 and itll sell for $3.49...its about knowing your product...

and as for andy on the prices, heck half of the cards I have I couldn't tell you if I have them or sold them, but ive got over 4000 autos and I flip them to the tune of over 200 per month average over the past 2 years, so there is a ton of turnover

I most certainly do not believe in the 1/10=1/1 stuff. It's a skeezy way to jump a price up. Same with Jersey numbered. If I am bidding on a card that happens to be like this and price goes up anywhere around 50%-60% book, I won't bid anymore. Because there are people that have it in their head that it adds more value. It doesn't. 1/10 is worth the same as a 2/10. I'm willing to pay what I want for a card that I really want. I use Beckett and past sales on the particular card to. ADR what I'm willing to pay. I go in with a set price. Depending on how bad I want it in my collection is the deciding factor I. The purchase. Not it being 1/10 or 11/25 in my case since I collect tavon Austin.

not a fan of the selling of say a Jacob Tamme auto with Peyton Mannings TE in the title?

I do not list BV in any of my listings, and when people send an offer and then tell me what beckett tells them, I just stick them on my block list, because if beckett is making decisions for you, I cant help you...

another one of my favorites would be selling like a topps chrome with 'exquisite condition' in the title

I know there are people out there with crazy priced stuff, some folks even say that some of my stuff is crazy priced, but im not out there trying to get $5 +shipping on a Topps Rookie Progression Adarius Bowman...im sure THE BOOK says its probably a $5 card, but to me, its $1.49 or so, I would say 90% of the stuff I list can be found in the under $5 boxes at a show...some stuff I feel is worth more than current market, so ill price it above current market...

a couple months ago I had a guy email me wanting to buy all my scrub autos/jerseys, he didn't give me a price per or anything, just that he wanted them...so I responded back 'you are wasting your time if you think im going to fire sale. I don't pay listing fees, I already spent the time to make the listings, so if you are looking to just buy them for under $1, im not interested'....

obviously dude didn't email me back, but im not about to 'give away' anything...I would say at least 50% of auctions that end of lots that are ALL autos, sell for $1+ per card, when they end under $1 per, usually I was bidding on them or won them, but I lose a ton of lots because they go for over $1...

also, by peddling low end stuff, I learn of the outlier players, so at a show when im going through the cheap boxes I can find cards for $1 that I know I can sell for $5...

I also price based on rarity in many cases...there isn't a whole lot of Olympic stuff out there, so I don't have common autos listed at $1.49, because I know I can get more, or ill hold for more...I have a Jarett Dillard Bowman Chrome Superfractor Auto priced where other scrub ones sell...there are plenty of cards that I could list at $0.99 that would sell for $0.99, but I could also put them out for $3.49 and itll sell for $3.49...its about knowing your product...

and as for andy on the prices, heck half of the cards I have I couldn't tell you if I have them or sold them, but ive got over 4000 autos and I flip them to the tune of over 200 per month average over the past 2 years, so there is a ton of turnover
Based on the first part of your comment, are you asking if I'd use a huge name in the title of a listing to maximize views on a less popular players card? I see no issue in that at all. As long as its listed that it's a Jacob tamme auto with a Peyton manning base or something like that. That way there is NO confusion. Not that anything like this has happened to me. It's just that the younger collectors aren't aware of certain ways sellers try and scam buyers. Example one being, hot packs. Worst thing to happen to the hobby.

Not that it's important. But I see nothing wrong with what you're doing. You make money you out into it and make a small profit for each sale mostly right? You always have a ton of listings and sell for fair prices it seems. I'm not into Olympic stuff but I always check your "show and tell" out because I like seeing what people pull. You seem to give people a fair chance at getting a card they want at a fair price.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/iwin_snatch...cAA0Ps7dTQCU%3D&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

those annoy me, especially when I was buying Exquisite...also hate "HUGE" to describe a 4 card Auto/Jersey lot...if I see "LARGE" or "HUGE" in a lot my expectation is that it has more than 50 cards...I buy quite a bit, though not as much this year as in past years, as I bought 3 hobby cases of Olympic stuff and over 400 Olympic blasters in the past 6 months, so I haven't been buying lots like in the past...it wasn't all that long ago where I would have 40 items incoming and 200+ auto days weren't uncommon...I recall many a weekend where I would buy over 300 autos off eBay...you can ask andy or ernie about some of the maildays ive had...they aren't typically 'great' players, but bulk no doubt

Simply there is just too much OVERINFLATED Prices across the board on cards (and other collectables for that matter). I feel that this will not change anytime soon.

The number one draft choice RC for any given year/sport when first released will start at $100+ (often before the official release of the card sometimes many weeks before), it will go up insanely for the first year and might level off. If the player is actually drafted and does fairly well his rookie year the prices will continue to rise beyond any sane price. If the player is a flop the prices will hold for a while but will drop slightly (as stated above many sellers just don't bother searching through their 1,000s of listings to adjust an out-of-date price). Then the prices will drop some but not nearly to a sane enough price.

Matt - I am not always willing to pay it but the first of a print run, Jersey #d, etc does add value whether we like it or not.

Simply there is just too much OVERINFLATED Prices across the board on cards (and other collectables for that matter). I feel that this will not change anytime soon.

The number one draft choice RC for any given year/sport when first released will start at $100+ (often before the official release of the card sometimes many weeks before), it will go up insanely for the first year and might level off. If the player is actually drafted and does fairly well his rookie year the prices will continue to rise beyond any sane price. If the player is a flop the prices will hold for a while but will drop slightly (as stated above many sellers just don't bother searching through their 1,000s of listings to adjust an out-of-date price). Then the prices will drop some but not nearly to a sane enough price.
Not sure where you are pulling this "information" but it certainly isn't my experience. Sounds like you would rather be collecting worthless cards in the 90s :)

Not sure where you are pulling this "information" but it certainly isn't my experience. Sounds like you would rather be collecting worthless cards in the 90s :)
Its been from my general observations. I might be off about the timing but that is how seems seem to me at any rate.

Matt - I am not always willing to pay it but the first of a print run, Jersey #d, etc does add value whether we like it or not.

I actually thought about that after I posted. Because I feel a card is worth what people are willing to pay. And if people are willing to pay more for the faux 1/1's then I guess the value is higher.

Some folks do, but it still isn't a 1/1 anymore than the other 9 (in the /10 example) IMHO. And the "first card made" I don't buy into at all, as the process involves more than one step and it is numbered in a separate step, so one has no idea if it was printed first as they may number off the other side of the stack (and could get mixed up during cutting step, foil step(s) etc..) and/or we really have no idea if the number 1-10 or 10-1 with their machine. JSY number I can see as some folks do collect those, but personally it is worth the same as the other cards of the same numbering. Same as calling a Patch a 1/1 as they all could be slightly different in orientation technically, unless they all one color one and then they pretty much the same as others same color. But I'm just a grumpy old bugger ;) lol so listings like I stated in my last post annoy the heck outta me.

Back